Friday, June 3, 2011

"I simply remember my favorite things..."

"...and then I don't feeeeeeeeel sooo baaaad."
Maria in The Sound of Music was really on to something! I admit, I'm feeling a little down about my husband, Joey, leaving for basic training with the Navy in less than two weeks. However, tonight is the last night that he is working the night shift at his job and I want to be in high spirits during the time we have together. So I've compiled a list of some of my favorite things (in no particular order), and now I don't feel so bad...really!

-Long hugs
-Peanut butter
-Capturing the perfect picture
-IllumiNations fireworks show at Epcot, and slowly taking the long way out of the park afterwards
-Gabriel gently patting my cheek in the morning and sweetly smiling as if to say, "Good morning, Momma."
-Falling snow
-Singing when no one can hear
-Warm hot chocolate
-A long, hot bath
-My husband's smile
-Friday nights with friends
-Picnics
-Baby breath
-Afternoon naps
-Baking with my nieces
-The smell of hot, wet cement (This is the smell of summer to me. I picture kids running through the sprinkler and lemonade stands!)
-Lemonade stands :)
-Limeades
-My kitty purring in my lap
-Long walks
-Late night talks
-Breakfast for dinner
-Snuggling
-Trees in Autumn
-Ice cream cones (ice cream with crust, as my friend's daughter calls it!)
-Vacation
-Holding hands with my husband
-Simply orange juice
-Rocking Gabriel to sleep
-Massages
-The smell of lavendar


What are some of your favorite things?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Positive thoughts are so powerful! Our thoughts are really in control of our lives. I believe that if we can keep our mind in a happy place that everything will seem brighter. I love it that you created a list of "your favorite things" at a time that you could easily be a little down. This kind of reminds me of Oprah talking about her gratitude list. I think we should all keep our favorite things list handy and where can see them. Thank you for reminding all of us today to be thankful, have gratitude and think of our favorite things even when we might be inclined to feel a little down. I will keep you in my prayers while your husband is gone. ((((hugs)))) Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS... My husband spent 22 years in the Navy as a submariner...most of his time was spent at Port Canaveral, FL. He retired as a CW02. He now works at Bangor Sub Base in Washington near Seattle. We have so many military families in our area. Maybe you might end up here someday with his service... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    Thank you for keeping me in your prayers! Being apart will be difficult, but I know if I stay positive, the time will fly by.
    We certainly may end up in Seattle! I loved seeing your pictures from the ferry and at the market. Plus, I wouldn't complain about living near the cheese you raved about!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I think you would love it here... This area really supports the military, too! We love our military families! Enjoy your time with your husband and give him a big hug for me. It is because of people like your husband...that we enjoy the freedom we have. Have a beautiful day! xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete