Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gabriel's First Flight

Gabriel and I set out on an exciting voyage yesterday- his very first flight! To start our trip we first had to drive about 4 hours to Dallas. (There were no direct flights out of Tulsa to Orlando. Plus it cost much less to drive to and fly out of Dallas.) Gabriel napped and played in the car and was really a delight. We arrived at DFW about an hour and a half before our flight and found out that our flight was delayed. After checking our bag and carseat (with help from Mimi and Gramps- thanks!), and making our way through security, we had over 2 hours to kill. I found a quiet spot and layed a blanket down for Gabriel to play on. He smiled, played and people watched and smiled some more. Prior to boarding, he took a bottle and fell asleep. Perfect! We boarded the plane and made our way to the last row. This awful set up was only balanced out by the fact that the only 2 empty seats were right next to us!! The captain came on, and Gabriel woke up to flirt with the flight attendant and the lady seated across from us. I was feeling confident that we were going to make it through the flight just fine. Gabriel had napped, I had come prepared with snacks, bottles, and new toys to entertain him with. So off we went! I had planned to give Gabriel a bottle during take off to help with his ears, but he had other plans. Instead of drinking some of the bottle I had, he returned the bottle he had drank earlier- soaking himself and me!
So I changed his outfit (remember, I'm prepared!) and realized I had forgotten a lessen that I had learned the hard way once already- always have a change of clothes for me too. The plane had just taken off for a 2.5 hour flight and my shirt was soaking wet and smelled bad, real bad.
I was a little rattled, but told myself that it could be worse. Then it got worse. We hit some turbulence (not too much, but more than I have ever experienced) and once again Gabriel projectile vomited all over me. Then my pants were soaked too.
Gabriel smiled at me though and continued to play with his fun new toys. The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful, and my sweet baby feel asleep right before we landed. We were the last (and the stinkiest) passengers off the plane.
I then took off my mom hat and put on my Super Mom cape (which is what I'm now calling the sling I carry Gabriel in). I wish I had taken a picture, but since I had no free hands and no actual super powers, that was truly impossible.
Gabriel strapped to my front side, I pulled my carry on behind me, with the diaper bag strapped to it. We made our way down to baggage claim where I picked up the suitcase I had checked and his carseat. Like a balancing act you'd see at the circus, I held his carseat handle and the handle to my suitcase in one hand, my carry on in the other, and made my way outside. I know I was a sight because one lady said as I passed by, "Oh excuse me. Wow, she has a lot of stuff. AND a baby?! Somebody help that lady!" I found it funny that she thought it was wise for someone else to help me and not to just do it herself, but it didn't matter anyway. Super Mom had things under control! I was smelly, exhausted, and loaded down like a pack mule, but on the other side of those sliding glass doors was victory- our chariot to our home for the next 3 weeks!

Now that I've had hot shower, a good night's sleep, and a fun day of play with my nieces and nephew, I know I'd do it all over again. Except next time, with a change of clothes in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment