Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A letter to my Peanut

My little Peanut,
Today you're 11 months old,
and I have no idea where all the time has gone.
You're no longer my tiny baby,
but are growing into a little person.
You cruise all around the room,
and love to push your walker around.
I hate that you won't let me hold your hands to help you walk,
but I love that you are already so independent.
You love to say kitty cat ("key ka")
and starting saying dog ("gog") the other day.
Our new morning ritual makes my heart so happy!
You carefully select a book and bring it over to me with such a big smile.
With bright eyes and an open mouthed grin,
you carefully examine each page before turning it for me.
I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you're already so fond of reading.
I can tell that you understand more and more of what Mama and Daddy are saying to you.
You usually respond by shaking your head no,
or saying your most common phrase,
"glong-glong-glong."
We have no idea what that's supposed to mean,
but we love to listen to you talk to us!
You LOVE music.
We hope that you'll have a great talent in music.
You seem to already.
You sing in the car all the time.
As a song plays, I'll hear you singing softly.
"Ahhhhhhh...Oooo...Ahhhhh."
Music has always made your face light up,
and I hope you continue to foster a love for it.
You have your own piano and xylophone,
and routinely play the pots and pans as drums.
I wonder whether you'll be in a band like your Grandad?
I'm excited to watch you grow into a little boy.
I look forward to many memories to come.
Yet, I can't seem to wrap my mind around how someone so small
 is growing so large, so fast.
I would freeze time if I could, but only for a while.
I need time to focus on all the little things-
your brilliant blue eyes, the sound of your contagious laugh,
how excited you are when the "key ka" walks in the room,
the smell of your sweet baby breath,
and how adorable you look when you cuddle with your blankie in bed. 
 Mostly I need to remember how incredible it feels when you flash
your "squinty-eyed, wrinkled-nosed smile."
Don't grow too fast, my Peanut.
With love,
your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment